PHSP & BENEFITS FOR EMPLOYEES
PUHL IS YOUR RESOURCE FOR EMPLOYEE BENEFITS & PHSP
EMPLOYEE INFORMATION FOR THEIR HEALTH SPENDING ACCOUNT
The Private Health Services Plan is the perfect plan for self-funding employee healthcare expenses. This is a ‘pay-as-you-claim’ plan in which an employer-funded flexible benefits plan is used like a bank account to pay for 100% of all eligible medical expenses, tax-free.
Employees start each plan year with a designated number of credits / dollars in an Employee Health Spending Account (EHSA) or Health Spending Accounts (HSA) as determined by the plan sponsor (owner / employer). Premiums are not required – this is a ‘pay-as-you-claim’ plan, so no claims mean no costs.
Throughout the year, employees use the tax-free credits / dollars to pay for medical, dental and vision care expenses and Sub Plan premiums that are not covered through other plans.
Eligible expenses include, but are not limited to:
- Prescription Drugs
- Laser Eye Surgery
- Dental Crowns and Regular Dental Work
- Orthodontics for Adults and Children
If an employee has additional coverage from insurance or spouse, both plans can be used to recover health and dental care expenses to a 100% maximum. Claim first from the traditional plan then the PHSP for full coverage.
The employer submits their claims receipts to the PHSP, the PHSP then issues a tax-free reimbursement to the employee for their claim.
COORDINATE WITH OTHER PLANS
PHSP plans are ideal for individuals with other benefit plans. PHSP plans allow for a write-off of additinal fees associated with health care expenses after insurance covers the initial cost. PHSP plans and HSA coordinate with other health plans and insurance coverage.
Employees are reimbursed for 100% of their health, dental and vision expenses (up to the plan maximum), with tax-free dollars.
A PHSP plan can cover the needs of an employees family and dependants, providing coverage for people close to the plan holder. PHSP plans offer full coverage and provide benefits for family.
PHSP Employee Health Spending Accounts can be used for medically necessary health, dental or vision expenses. Employees use Health Spending Account credits on the services they need, when they need them.
PHSP ELIGIBLE EXPENSES
WHAT IS COVERED BY PHSP?
The PHSP covers any medically-necessary health, dental and vision care expenses. This means that with the written prescription from a medical professional, your PHSP can cover:
- Dental Services: Crowns, Dental X-Rays, Denture Repair & Replacement, Examinations, Extractions, Filings, Gum Treatment, Oral Surgery, Root Canals, Straightening Teeth (ie. Braces, Orthodontics).
- Hospital Services: Anesthesiologist, Hospital Bills, Operating Room Fees, Oxygen Masks, Tent, Private / Semi-Private Room Fee, Vaccines, X-Ray Technician.
- Laboratory Examination and Tests: Blood Tests, Cardiographs, Computer Axial Tomography Scan (CAT Scan), Magnetic Resonance, Metabolism Tests, Spinal Fluid Tests, Stool Examination, Urine Analysis, X-Ray Examination.
- Medications: Prescription Drugs Recorded by Pharmacist, Live Extract: Injectable for Pernicious Anemia, Diabetic Supplies *with Prescription, Insulin or Substitutes, Oxygen, Vitamin B12 for Pernicious Anemia.
- Prescribed Medical Treatments: Art Therapy (Massage Therapy), Blood Transfusion, Bone Marrow Transplant, Diathermy, Hydrotherapy, Injections, Insulin Treatments, Nursing *by Registered Nurse, Organ Transplant, Pre-Natal / Post-Natal Treatments, Psychotherapy.
- Professional Services of Paramedical Practitioners: Acupuncture, Chiropractor, Gynecology, Hearing Specialist (Audiologist), Massage Therapy, Naturopath Doctor, Neurology Oculist, Ophthalmology, Optician, Optometric, Orthodontic, Obstetrics, Orthopedic, Osteopath Pediatrics, Physician, Physiotherapy, Podiatry, Practical Nurse, Psychiatry, Psychology Registered, Nurse Vision Care, Surgeon, Speech Therapy.
- Premiums for Extra Health & Dental Plans: Premiums paid for Health / Dental & Vision Care plans such as Blue Cross or similar plans. This can vary from Province to Province – please call us if you have any questions regarding your coverage. Life and disability insurance premiums are NOT eligible expenses.